[TriEmbed] My quarantine projects - Synchronized light display and more

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:03:51 CST 2021

I have been working from home since mid March, and expect that to continue
for a while longer. This gives me a bit more free time, so I have picked up
a few fun projects.

Over the past few months I have been working on building a synchronized
light display. I am using the open source software xLights to create the
animation and then using networked Falcon pixel controller boards in the
yard for controlling the lights.

Here are two videos of the work:

My 2020 Christmas show (runs about 45 mins):

Christmas 2020 Complete show on Vimeo <https://vimeo.com/496566030>

Behind the scenes showing how it is all connected together:

  2020 Christmas behind the scenes on Vimeo <https://vimeo.com/496622946>

I have a Facebook page for the lights with a bit more info on it, and you
can follow it to see what is coming next year and when it will be available.

  Lights Over Archer Lodge | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/lightsoverarcherlodge>

I have also been collecting and restoring old computers, adding an IMSAI,
TRS Model 2 and 4p (already had a 1 and 3), Kaypro 10 (one of the first
luggables with a hard drive), a Pet 2001, and a couple Elf 1802 and Z80
boards.

With the Pet 2001, I completed the holy trilogy of the TRS Model 1, Pet
2001, and Apple 2 (although mine is the 2e).

And also put together a hydroponics system for herbs over the summer, and
hoping to instrument it a bit this year for better tracking of temperature,
flow control, and other parameters.