[TriEmbed] laptop fan motor control question

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 07:31:27 CST 2021

That makes sense Shane. Slow down that kick to the mechanical part with a cap to round off the jolt. Amazing how many problems a simple little cap can solve. Also makes sense that the fans have a position sensor to time the pulses. That is how they manage the timing. I couldn't remember the scheme for the brush-less motors, it's been a while since I thought about it. I just remembered you couldn't just simply apply a voltage to a brush-less motor. I know there are also schemes for running them without the sensor too. So that's the reason it's important to know the motor scheme. In general I suspect the PC fans have the timing method built in. But it begs the question if you pulse with the wrong timing it seems to me it will not energize the fan well.

Great article, I will remember this technique.

John Vaughters