[TriEmbed] Measure uA

John Wettroth jwet at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 26 13:47:13 CDT 2021

Yes- you are correct Brian, I didn't understand Paul's question.  All a shunt is a resistor that drops a voltage across it that you measure- V/R is amps.  This is what ammeters do.  If you have a sufficiently sensitive meter, the R can be pretty small.  The EEVBLOG uCurrent gadget, has a tiny resistance - a tenth of an ohm and a very low offset amp with a gain of 100 amp IIRC. (A Maxim Op-Amp that I helped define in my time there).  This keeps the "burden voltage", the portion of the voltage dropped across the shunt in order to measure current very low.  Dave Jones is really big on low burden voltage measurement because it does get in the way in some cases.  He even makes a nice little multimeter with his microcurrent built in to minimize burden voltage

I have remind myself that not everyone is an analog guy- its one of my main skills.  I don't do FPGA's and a lot of other facets that others find easy to do.

Regards,
John M. Wettroth
(984) 329-5420 (home)
(919) 349-9875 (cell)