[TriEmbed] OT: RF questions

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Sep 28 21:31:48 CDT 2020

I modeled 1/2" diameter elements with EZNEC and the length of each 1/4wl
element comes out to 29.1 inches when cut for 98MHz with the antenna 10
feet up.

The graph of SWR vs frequency from 88 to 108MHz is below.
<http://triembed.org/images/FM-DIPOLE.png>

The closer to resonance the lower the SWR and greater proportion of RF
out vs turning the power into heat. So if you end up needing to transmit
at, say, 89MHz you'd simply make the elements 98/89 of the above
dimension and it should keep the SWR as low as it can get. If you were
transmitting at 107MHz you'd multiply by 98/107.

But the other problem with going unbalanced into a dipole is that it
doesn't necessarily radiate like a dipole (i.e. two lobes perpendicular
to the elements). As Dan mentioned, the feedline ends up radiating and
it tends to be at wonky angles relative to the axis of the antenna
elements. The coax coil (or purpose-made balun below) solves this by
isolating the feedline from the antenna. It's a pain to have the antenna
only be effective for a piece of the azimuth range you need. From the
description you probably want an omni pattern. The gain off the ends of
a horizontal dipole is terrible and the gain falls off pretty severely
more than around 40 degrees right or left of the broadside direction.
So in addition to a balun you might consider making the dipole vertical.
A vertical dipole is omnidirectional outward with the nulls up and
down.  But the balun is key to getting a predictable pattern.

You can get baluns from Digikey, by the way. The MABA-011040
<https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/macom-technology-solutions/MABA-011040/1465-1702-1-ND/5131112>
is rated for 1-300MHz and doesn't look like it would be hard to solder.
This could go at the antenna and then you'd use a simple run of coax to it.

-Pete AD4L