[TriEmbed] ADC

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 15:21:30 CDT 2020

I believe the CA3306E are only 6-bit sampling resolution.  (see datasheet:
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/235/CA3306E-pdf.php)

The Microchip MCP3008 is a 8-ch 10-bit ADC with SPI-interface on a 16-pin
DIP.  $2.19 at Mouser:
https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/microchip-technology/mcp3008-i-p?qs=AF%252bffTaPb30XZ0OdV6HdVg%3D%3D

Here is an article one author describes the use of its sister chip MCP3002
for the Raspberry Pi, but the interface is the same -- you just get more
channels:
https://www.petervis.com/Raspberry_PI/Analog_to_Digital_Converter/Raspberry_Pi_Analog_to_Digital_Converter.html

Here is another author's article on using the MCP3008 with a R-Pi:
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-adc/

-- You can interpolate the information in the articles for use with a
different microcontroller.

Here is a Raspberry-Pi Hat using a Microchip MCP3424 for 8-ch 17-bit ADC
with I2C interface for £16 + £6 shipping (about $31 total) -- free shipping
for 2:
https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/p/69/adc-pi-raspberry-pi-analogue-to-digital-converter#
If you're interfacing to something other than a R-Pi, you can still solder
or wire-wrap to the pins and use the code example.

Have fun!

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:29 PM Carl Nobile via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> I have some CA3306E kicking around about 10 of them I think. I'm not sure
> of the bits. They are through-hole made by Intersil and are obsolete at
> this point.
>
> ~Carl
>

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 10:34 AM The MacDougals via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an 8 channel ADC chip.
>>
>> 10 bit is sufficient.  I2C is preferred but SPI would be OK.
>>
>> Hand solderable package highly preferred.
>>
>> I found these:
>>
>> https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc128d818.pdf  - $5.30 at DigiKey
>>

>> https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/2309fd.pdf
>> - $7.34 at Digikey
>>

>> Any opinions? Anyone have something in their personal stock?
>>
>> Anyone interested in sharing shipping costs on a DigiKey order?
>>

>> ---> Paul

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com
*Although kindness is rarely a job, no matter what you do it's always an
option.*