[TriEmbed] IR remote signals

John Wettroth jwet at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 22 08:42:26 CDT 2020

The LTR-301 is just a photo transistor.  As was said, with a 1k pullup, it
will work about a foot but will not be what you expect from a remote.  It
will also have soft edges due to the open collector output and capacitance
of the transistor.  You could improve it by following with a comparator with
a bit of hysterisis but you still won't get what you probably expect.

IR Remotes are transmitted with manchester encoding (like PWM) on a low
freqency carrier- usually 32Khz or 40 Khz- Sony is 40 Khz.  This carrier
allows the reciever to be narrow band and allow it to have a lot of gain
without turning into a noisy mess.  What you want is a IR Reciever module,
these generally look like a photo transistor but actually have an amplifier,
bandpass filter and data slicer in them which give a logic out- also with a
pull up.  Below is a link that is pretty good.  IR reciever modules are not
hard to find.  I have some around here if you're in a time bind and need one
today.

Here's the link-
https://faculty-web.msoe.edu/johnsontimoj/Common/FILES/sony_sirc_protocol.pd

Regards,