[TriEmbed] Designing a LiFePO4 battery charger

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Sun Mar 22 19:20:53 CDT 2020

@Pete
I'm glad you guys are OK.  The crux of the issue is that I haven't seen any
LiFEPO4 charger ICs that handle more than 7 cells in series.  Each of my
three batteries have 4 cells in them, so I think I need to have one charger
for each battery which charges the 4 cells of the battery in series.

I only get 1-2 hrs of working time a day right now due to my daughter's
pre-school shutting down, so it will be a little while before I get a
functional schematic out.  However, I was tentatively thinking of using the
following components:
NMosfets (used for all):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/NVMFS5C612NLAFT1G?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugLwIkhTqkZTKk6f9YgRBDTRk6R4I0d7T5BfE4p4JIMyYRpkPiujU25
High side NMosfet driver (for NMosfets which are not connected to ground):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices-Linear-Technology/LTC7003EMSEPBF?qs=sGAEpiMZZMve4%2FbfQkoj%252BKKapMsNT2INsri6aFIMPoQ%3D
Single battery charger (would use 3 of these with a 24V supply):
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/BQ24630RGER?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsZtvfwwjgKgY9Zc%252BP5Y9S3

Same schematic with auto-annotation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19qjaiqOR5wqI34htY-u9LFqNepMjd0cY/view?usp=sharing

Apologies if I wasn't clear.  I've annotated the schematic.  WIth the
updated one M1, M3, M5 would be on and M2. M4 off during "normal"
operation, resulting in ~36V from the 3 ~12v cells.  During charging, M1,
M3, M5 would be off and M2, M4 would be on.  The idea is that M1, M3, M5
control charge moving from the high side of a battery to the low side of
the next one, so disabling them isolate the cells from each other.  The
charger ICs seem to expect the low end of the batteries to be connected to
ground, so M2, M4 being on makes that happen.

Given that during series ("normal") operation, M1, M3, M5 have an
approximately 0 voltage difference between source and drain (and M5
requires a gate voltage relative to ground higher than the 24V the charger
is getting), I think a gate driver with a charge pump is needed to drive
the those 3 mosfets.  Does all of that make sense?

Relays would be great in terms of functionality but I'm a little worried
about reliability.  The hub motors I'm using are brushless & direct drive
with a lower mechanical load than they were designed for, so they might
last a fairly long time.  It would certainly simplify the design though.

Thanks,
Charlie