[TriEmbed] Possible Presentation: ARM disassembly & RE tool

Brian lugmail at undecidedgames.com
Wed Mar 4 13:21:08 CST 2020

Hi friends,

On the heels of seeing that this month's presentation will be about
reverse engineering, I thought I'd pipe up and mention that I have some
stuff that might be interesting.

I have a commercially-produced MIDI controller that has some bugs, but
is already obsoleted by the manufacturer.  Long story short, its CPU is
an off-the-shelf ARM Cortex-M and the manufacturer didn't enable code
protection so I was able to download its firmware image in the clear.

In my journey to understand the existing code (in order to fix its bugs
and/or write better code), I've been developing a GUI RE tool for
Cortex-M machine code.  Its features include:

  - Disassembly view with instruction-by-instruction room for labels and
comments
  - Emulation with single-step, breakpoints, and instruction skip
  - Memory read/write watchpoints
  - (limited) NVIC emulation
  - (extremely limited) peripheral emulation

I call it CorTexMex (for Cortex-M Explorer) and would be proud to
demonstrate it at a meeting if enough folks are interested.  It's
open-source, published on GitHub, and an ongoing work in progress.

Whaddya think?

-B