[TriEmbed] Need a PDP 11 of your own?

Gregg Tracton tracton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:45:57 CST 2020

Everyone will want one of these!

I used one of these computers in college.

For those under the age of 50: to start up this gem, first introduced in
the 1970's, you turn on the power and manually type in the 16 (or so)
instructions that tell the machine to load the OS (operating system), using
the toggle switches on the front. Yes, we were entering binary manually: it
had no keyboard (or mouse) -- this part, plus a disk, is the whole
machine.  [You could attach a terminal.]

It took a few minutes to get that sequence right. Experienced users could
do it in 20 seconds.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 10:24 AM Mauricio Tavares via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-11-get-one

Gregg Tracton: tired, retired & inappropriately unattired (PJ's)