[TriEmbed] Hacking a fake vintage radio (with Arduino + Pi 0)

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:13:27 CDT 2020

Hey great project Huan!

I am into restoring or refinishing old antique radios and cabinets, and
have implemented more than one "fake vintage" radio using a microcontroller
- in the recent half-decade using SDR radio.

Over the years I had to implement a true random number generator on a
microcontroller or small computer many times.  My go-to circuit ever since
my freshman year of college has used a germanium transistor plus an op-amp
filter to provide the random seed. I have also the math overrun digits of a
multiplication of two values sequenced from a small table of truly random
numbers, though this worked better in older chipsets.  More recently I have
used the value from a RTC or values read from a GPS chip or NTP value as
the seed value.  But the pink noise generated by a germanium transistor has
the fastest solution and is more evenly and flatter spread
statistically than any other solution I have measured.  And great for
generating the signal required to create the sound signal for a parametric
autotune of the filter path for a flat response to room acoustics, amp and
speaker response, and microphone pickup of a sound system.

- sgh

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com
*Although kindness is rarely a job, no matter what you do it's always an
option.*