[TriEmbed] Hacking a fake vintage radio (with Arduino + Pi 0)

Kevin McClaning mcckevin at mcclaning.com
Sun Jun 28 09:40:56 CDT 2020

Excellent write up, Huan.

Speaking of "silly" and "No one cares about," I once bought a scrolling
LED sign at
a ham fest but couldn't find documentation. I reverse-engineered the
hardware so
I could directly access the LED matrix with an Arduino, then set it
about displaying
humorous/motivational messages (of the kind you see at the bottom of
slashdot),
along with some random numbers and graphics.

No, it doesn't stop there. I used the Arduino random number generator to
select the individual
messages to display but, I noticed that it always produced the same
"random" order of messages.
This annoyed me, so I added a temperature sensor and used its output to
increase the entropy
of the Arduino. Since I was in the "increase the entropy" neighborhood,
I build two audio oscillators,
with crappy stability and ran them into the AD converters of the
Arduino. I sampled the waveforms
every now and then and fed that into the Arduino's random seed as well.

Yeah, "silly" but it was a fun diversion. Did all this in the
before-the-pandemic timeframe.

Kevin