[TriEmbed] Electric Fence monitoring

Josh Wyatt dragojdw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:26:31 CDT 2020

So, a couple of folks emailed mentioning lightning strikes - and that's a
real risk, especially with a super-long antenna going almost directly into
your arduino. One presented solution was to implement some kind of
optocoupler, with the LED powered by harvested energy from the strike
(clever). Another idea is to use beefier diodes instead of a zener, for
your clamping circuit.

I've had a few lightning strikes on my property, within 100 feet of the
house. Each time, the nearby strike took out the shunt regulator circuit in
my garage door opener, which powers the safety optical beam and sensor, at
the bottom of the door. It was basically a 100 ohm resistor in series with
a .5 watt, 5.1v zener, to provide a cheap low-current 5.1v supply to the
remote sensors. Each time lightning struck nearby, the zener shorted. The
first time, I replaced it with the same zener... until the next strike. The
next time, I used a beefier (5 watt) 5.1v zener... until the next strike.
Finally, I replaced that zener with 8 series-connected 1n4007 diodes,
forward-biased. All strikes since then, no damage!

There are also various spark gaps that can shunt lightning strikes.

Your mileage may vary...
-j