[TriEmbed] OSH Park board refinement

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Jun 5 13:07:37 CDT 2020

OSH Park <http://oshpark.com> has been making the edges of their boards
easier to deal with. Now most of the time there's just a little
protrusion (or more than one for bigger boards) from each side where the
board was milled out in the panel. For many years I've had a dead flat
surface and sand paper to knock off these protrusions (and the "mouse
bites" that preceded them). But now I have a Dremel tool set up
permanently with a side cutter bit (vaguely 1/4" diameter) and touching
the protrusion to this knocks it off, sometimes with a slight depression
in the board edge. But the depressions are harmless for prototypes and
with a bit of practice and care they can be avoided. But this way the
board edge stays straight and fits better in a jig for pasting with a
stencil (the stainless steel stencils from OSH Stencils
<http://oshstencils.com> are abfab!).

If I can get cameras set up to switch reliably maybe I could give a demo
of this and other steps of board assembly for low volume prototyping. I
have a new camera for my microscope too. If I can get a decent cell
signal into the basement I can perhaps use that and bypass the feeble
uplink  with the house DSL. This would have to be for after Monday as
I'm overbooked.