[TriEmbed] A little help

Josh Wyatt dragojdw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:11:18 CDT 2020

Take a little time and characterize the LED parameters a bit...

I would use a high-ish voltage DC source, like a 12 volt supply, and put a
100 ohm or so resistor in series with the LED. The resistor will limit
current to 90mA in the worst case (3 volt LED on 12 volt source), and will
allow you to measure the voltage drop across the LED. Once you have that,
use Ohm's law to calculate the current required for "full" rating in
wattage; this might require some guesswork by measuring heat dissipation
with a heatsink, etc. But a safe figure might be 1/2 watt or less for basic
testing.

-j