[TriEmbed] Electric Fence monitoring

John Moore jmontara at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 1 06:42:16 CDT 2020

I like the ideas presented for the Electric Fence monitoring.   I've seen the issue of lightning strikes addressed in other products.   Here's what I suggest:

1) 10 mm separation without solder mask on your PCB between your lightning signal and arduino ground.   Solder mask puts a smooth surface on the PCB.  Without solder mask the exposed PCB insulator (ie the FR4 dielectric) surface appears rough and distance across it is greater.  Increased separation improves the chance that you can attenuate the lightning signal before it causes damage.

2) Carbon composition resistor with 2 Watt size manufactured by Allen Bradley.  The 2 watt package size gives 10 mm separation.  Allen Bradley gives a carbon composition resistor with no voids.  No voids give no sparks inside the resistor.  No sparks inside give no damage to the resistor.  No damage gives resistance value that remains constant.

3) An off-the-shelf lightning strike arrestor with a ceramic insulator separating terminals by maybe an inch or two.   Be sure and install these with exposure to rain.  Water on the surface of the insulator reduces the voltage potential required to jump the gap.  My neighbor attached something like these to his electric fence and the result was that his electric fence charger survived lightning strikes.   https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/lightning%20strike%20arrestor

4) Neon lamps dissipate energy.  For example, https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cml-innovative-technologies-ltd/6838/2216-6838-ND/12089136.

Except for the off-the-shelf lightning arrestor,  my suggestions are based on my best recollection of conversations I had circa 1991 with an office-mate that designed a 10Base5 Ethernet transceiver.  A system including these transceivers might have 100 such transceivers attaching to a thick coaxial cable running 500 meters outdoors.  The transceiver was designed to possibly survive and certainly fail safe - nobody wanted to electrocute anyone that happened to be typing on their keyboard when lightning struck.

-John Edward Moore