[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster sanity check

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 20:53:10 CST 2020

>Actually, no.  That SSR is rated for a load voltage of maximum 60 V. But when your fan circuit is turned off, no current is flowing through the inner heater coil, so no voltage is dropped across it; therefore your switching element will see the full 120 VACrms (~170V pk) when it is in the "off" state.  I'm sorry to say I've forgotten who mentioned it first; someone did a few layers back in the thread.
Oh, that was Shane's comments. That makes sense now. That would be an exciting experiment. Everything would be working great (false sense of success) until the heater coil was shut down, then there would be a magic smoke event for the fan part.
Using a ~$15 laptop power supply sounds better and safer for the first attempt.
Thanks
Craig