[TriEmbed] wireless communications and battery life

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 21:43:37 CST 2020

I'll add my welcome to Brian's, and add a +1 to most everything he said.

The only additional insight I hope to add would be that you may very well
be able to add a small solar cell to the top of your mailbox that will
provide all the power that you need. Assuming that your mailbox has some
solar exposure, even for part of the day. A mailbox sized solar cell like
this:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-CL-100-1-5-Watt-15-Volt-Battery/dp/B000CPA670/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=coleman+solar&qid=1578454466&sr=8-26
should
be able to keep a couple of Lithium Ion batteries topped up for a twice a
day transmission of a photograph to the house. As Brian pointed out, this
device need not constantly check anything. the only thing that is important
is an interrupt generated by the door opening. your device wakes up,
establishes a Wi-Fi connection, snaps a picture, transmits it and then goes
to sleep, not to be woken up again until you empty the mailbox.

You biggest problem may be transmitting through the Faraday cage of the
mailbox.

Glen