[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster sanity check

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Tue Jan 7 16:43:38 CST 2020

Good evening all ...

Your Mosfet must withstand the peak rectified DC voltage PLUS the
turn-on/turn-off transients when the Mosfet switches.

While you can soften the Mosfet turn-on and turn-off some by a gate
current limiting resistor ... you are asking for problems if you don't
snub the Mosfet Drain-Source, AND provide sufficient voltage withstand
to protect the Mosfet from Gate-Drain punch-thru and subsequent
destruction. You can't depend on the snubber alone ... it's job is to
quench those transients so you aren't radiating lots of noise onto the
AC line. Snubbers do fail and you don't want this to be your sole
protection device. You can't depend on the Mosfet blowing open ... a
short circuit keeps your heater power on 100% ... and hopefully you've
included a thermal fuse to prevent an unplanned fire event!

Regards,

Rick