[TriEmbed] Looking for recommendation

Kevin McClaning mcckevin at mcclaning.com
Sun Apr 12 10:47:39 CDT 2020

Well, playing with my 3D printer has made its way to the top of my TODO
list.

I've used SketchUp to build 3D models for printing but they've gone the
way of subscription software since I last used it. This is the second
time I've been burned by using a proprietary tool and having them go
this route. Grrr.

Any recommendations for useful, open-source 3D modelling software? I'm
looking for:

  * Linux
  * Open source
  * Something that won't go subscription model
  * Programmatic interface would be nice. SketchUp had a Ruby interface.

Right now, I'm looking to print a few knobs for some old equipment but
I'd like to find something I can use to build more complicated things
(like designing decks for the house, designing sheds, etc).

I've seen recommendations for freeCAD and even Blender. And, of course,
there's OpenSCAD that Paul presented during one of our meetings.
Fusion360 is popular but seems to be Windows only and is proprietary.

Thanks.

Kevin