[TriEmbed] Some notes for tomorrow Re: Next weeks meeting

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Apr 12 10:29:08 CDT 2020

I recommend we try to connect early, establish that we can see and hear
others, then mute our mikes and throttle bandwidth back (see below) as a
hedge in case we might immediately blow out bandwidth limits (e.g. Paul
couldn't reliably get my full res video because of my pitiful broadband
here in the boonies). There is a "raise your hand" button in the lower
left corner of the Jtsi screen that might be useful for Paul to moderate
with.

The three vertical dots in the lower right part of the Jitsi screen
within your browser give you controls that will help us optimize. Paul
pointed out last night that the "blur my background" option cuts
bandwidth requirements because the lower image diversity compresses better.

The "manage video quality" function allows you to put your video down to
the second from left slot for minimal but usable video while cutting
bandwidth needs a lot. This will tend to leave bandwidth for Paul's
higher setting for clear presentation of his slides and clear shots from
others with things to share (i.e. they can boost quality, do their show
and tell, then throttle back).

We need a volunteer to record the session with Dropbox using the three
dots "start recording" mechanism. If you can do this send an email to
Paul. We can figure out how to get it from Dropbox to Youtube later.

-Pete