[TriEmbed] TriLUG talk on "Blinking lights!"

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 12:35:25 CDT 2019

The TriLUG (Triangle Linux User Group) meeting this week (Thursday) looks
interesting for many of the TriEmbed group as it will be covering Raspberry
Pi, Arduino, and a PDP-8 replica (probably the PDP-8 emulation on a
Raspberry Pi, but not certain).

You can see the full description here and register to attend (you can go
even if you don't register). It is held on Centennial Campus at the
Textiles building.

https://www.meetup.com/trilug/events/zmzvnqyzjbrb/?rv=ea2_v2&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDVhN2JjY2Y4LWY4MzYtNDJhZC04ODQxLWU2ZGQ1ZWI2NzQ1Yw

Here is a summary of the presentation copied from that page:

"On the sorry state of modern programming languages and other rants, with
some surprises." by Mark Sidell

I begin by explaining why I hate all modern programming languages, explore
alternative, and then declare that PDP-8 assembly is really the best
choice. Next, I briefly explore the PDP-8 instruction set, but switch gears
to what every programmer really wants to do -- make lights blink. I demo
blinkenlights on the raspberry pi, arduino, and finally on a replica of a
PDP-8. Of course, the only thing the audience knows at the beginning is the
title of the talk.