[TriEmbed] best tool for automagic interaction with USB serial ports

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Feb 28 11:11:42 CST 2019

(Rod Radford sent mail enlightening me with the "-v" option to lsusb
that shows per-chip serial numbers for some USB devices and this is why
I thanked "guys" instead of just John, as I didn't notice Rod had left
out the list.)

On 2/28/19 11:54 AM, John Vaughters via TriEmbed wrote:

> Well I say I will move on from Ubuntu, but I still have it, albeit
> old. Yet even this old Ubuntu version I have is more current than
> RedHat (Centos) 7 on libraries. So I still use it. Time will tell if
> Debian can fully replace Ubuntu. They do a good job of coordinating
> alot of software. However my hope is Debian does too. Time will tell
> and I am not in a hurry. Mainly I use Debian for embedded stuff and I
> have come to really like it.

Well Ubuntu is made out of Debian, just not the stable branch. So in my
mind it's already got the high ground. :-) But it gets back to the old
saw: You can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap,
pick any two. The stable branch is stable 'cause releases don't happen
fast and the extra testing is not cheap. This may be naive, but it seems
Ubuntu shares an approach with Microsoft (+/-): why bother with a lot of
testing when your users will trip over and report bugs for you? I can
say with absolute certainty that this is the attitude TI uses for their
tool chain releases for Linux hosts as, on top of a very casual (but
commercially clear-eyed) stance they don't even bother to test with up
to date versions of Ubuntu! Now when I get hosed by a newly discovered
bug in their tools the first thing I do is try it out on a Windows
system to avoid wasting time. But to be fair I should repeat that I have
never, ever found a code generation error or linker error with the TI
tools (and I use the TI compilers as well as gcc). My moans are about
host-specific stuff inside Eclipse and some of their probes and other
gadgets that have scandalous flaws that don't directly affect the
quality of a target system.