[TriEmbed] best tool for automagic interaction with USB serial ports

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 07:54:36 CST 2019

 > But I need to go a step further. To assign a name like "NW-FOO" to the XDS110 in the NW corner of my "test range" I'd need to interpose in Udev somehow so it could do the thing to determine which is which.

Right, so are you saying that you do not have unique serial #'s?. The technique described relies on specific devices with serial numbers, so if you have to change an Arduino Nano out for instance, you would also need to change the rule to use the new serial number. UDEV is extremely flexible and I haven't even touched the surface of it, so if you write more generic rules to just capture Arduino vs XYX, then I am sure you could find a rule to increment your naming. I used this technique to utilize the serial number to always connect to a specific name. It worked quite well for fixing reconnects where it would normally increment. However, it still did not fix just plain disconnects common in USB. I am not a fan of the USB software layer and I absolutely despise its physical connections. Having said all that I still use it in many ways, I have to, it's all there is for many things. And this solution described with UDEV and serial #'s actually worked quite well at solving the vast majority of issues and was quite stable. Probably fine for non-critical uses.
Example FTDI Serial #
ATTRS{serial}=="A600G5OZ"

>I regret going with Ubuntu 18.04

You are making me feel better about keeping my Ubuntu 16 or is it 14? Anyway, I am done with Ubuntu. it drives me crazy in the same way that windows does, by making decisions for you and assuming the user needs to be probed constantly to act. I have always been a RedHat person, but thanks to Rpi and many other embedded devices, I am now a HUGE fan of Debian. I will not be going to Ubuntu for new installs unless I am setting it up for non-technical users, then Ubuntu is still the #1 go to. For me though, Ubuntu just annoys the crap out of me in so many ways. The problem with RedHat (Centos) is it just doesn't keep up to date for newer software, so I have to use something else for that. It has been Ubuntu, but now it's Debian.