[TriEmbed] best tool for automagic interaction with USB serial ports

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 18:16:53 CST 2019

Pete,
If you are using the same USB devices all the time and do not expect changes, consider doing udev rules. Below is an article I wrote about it. Basically it recognizes your USB device based on certain ID's and you can name the device whatever you want. As far as communicating, "expect" scripts is as good as any tool I can think of. The only thing that is probably better is Tera-Term, but that is strictly windows. It is quite good though and I wrote a tool to run scripts to 300 edge routers using Tera-Term. One thing I used to do is use "socat" to send the serial device to a raw TCP port and communicate over the network. In general I do everything I can to not communicate to USB devices due to their constant connection issues. I prefer using UART if possible.
Good Luck,
John Vaughters
Arduino Communications Device Naming with udev - Combustory

|  |  |

|  |
Arduino Communications Device Naming with udev - Combustory