[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster sanity check

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Dec 29 11:03:53 CST 2019

Hi Craig,

    Very few people on this list are going to have KiCad at their
fingertips, so I transmogrified your schematic into a PDF. Folks may
have to turn their heads sideways to look at it depending on their PDF
viewer:

http://triembed.org/doc/craig-cook-coffee-roaster.pdf

   In my opinion the stuff on the left side of the schematic should be
inside an all metal box with the box connected to earth ground by a good
power cord with standard three prong AC plug properly wired. You don't
specify R1 (heater), so it isn't possible to judge whether the current
capacity of the SSR is up to the task. Two amps seems marginal for a
heater designed to heat more than a few beans at a time.

   R4 is too large, in my opinion, and the FET turn on time might be
very slow, but that may be a non-issue. It would be harmless are more
likely to work well if it was 100 instead of 10k ohms. D1 should be
swapped end for end  and have 20V on the cathode end, not ground, to act
as a snubber (i.e. it's in parallel with the motor but only conducts in
the opposite direction). The 20V of course has to match the voltage
rating of the actual motor.

   I'm not in the position to judge the display connections. I'm also
not up on KiCad enough to judge whether you've got the Arduino's five
volts shorted to ground with the "PWR_FLAG" net, but it seems that way.
The thermistor circuit seems reasonable.

-Pete