[TriEmbed] Long range digital communication (long range wifi, XBee?)

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:13:55 CDT 2018

A distance of 1km is not that far and can be easily achieved with off the
shelf WiFi systems. I am currently working on a project that has an
Ubiquiti M2HP radio attached as the base system mounted at the top of a
building with an omnidirectional antenna, and the same radio with a smaller
omnidirectional antenna mounted on the mobile unit and we can easily get
that distance.

The previous solutions are good, but to me, WiFi that just works out of the
box is a simple solution.

As for my balloon communications, I had a 2-meter radio in the ham band,
broadcasting at about 2W and was able to get 100+ miles, but that small
antenna was up in the air over 15-20 miles high. I also tried using WiFi
with a parabolic dish on the ground and I was able to test that out to over
2 miles on the ground, but that is a directional antenna - not very good
for  your setup.