[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:04:22 CDT 2018

Craig,

Here is a good article on automating a popcorn popper for roasting coffee.
http://popperyii.blogspot.com/

Automating is fun but you can roast manually with an unmodified popcorn
popper. Other the years I have purchased two dedicated coffee roasters but
find myself coming back to the hot air popcorn poppers for the the speed
and control of the degree of roast. It may take a few batches but you can
roast pretty quickly. There are only a few details to watch out for. Some
newer poppers have a temperature cutout that prevents them from getting hot
enough to roast coffee. Check reviews and online posts and stick with a
brand that someone has used successfully (link belows for one online if you
cannot find one locally). The other detail is to look for a popper that has
vents on the side of the popping chamber rather than a screen at the bottom
of the chamber. Models with a screen at the bottom can let bits get down
into the device that could get too close to the heating element.

Sweet Maria's is a great resource for green coffee beans, roasting
information and equipment. I highly recommend their coffee assortments as a
great way to survey the best of what is currently available. A sampler of
half decaf is also a great way to find out how good decaf coffee can be (my
favorite coffee is half caffeinated (Ethiopian or Yemen) and half Sumatra
decaf.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/nostalgia-electric-popcorn-popper.html

I also recommend using a Stainless Steel Strainer Basket for cooling your
roasted coffee. I push the bottom of the strainer wire mesh up to give the
bottom a dome the middle to distribute the roasted beans in a ring pattern.
Then I set the straining on top of a small fan pointing straight up. The
beans cool quickly and just a few shakes blows out the loose chaff.
https://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Colander-Strainer-Basket/dp/B06XGWS7JS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1540412708&sr=8-8&keywords=wire+basket+strainer
https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-HT-900-TurboForce-Circulator-Black/dp/B001R1RXUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540412899&sr=8-1&keywords=Honeywell+HT-900

I look forward to hearing about your coffee roasting automation adventure!
Shane