[TriEmbed] ARM computer quantity discount

Gregg Tracton tracton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:24:13 CST 2018

That is why quantum computers are so exciting: the structure of
"holographic" computing is far superior to neurons, much faster than even a
neutron net (like by billions), and the interconnects can be controlled by
software (rather than neurons that are mostly hard-coded).  Plus, it's hard
to get multiple brains to work together, but easy for computers, even at
the board level.

And if we were to compare apples to apples, then the basic computing
element in brains would be the molecule (like dopamine), not the neurons
that accumulate them and trigger switches.  Neurons are more at the level
of ALUs or even DSPs, not transistors.

--gregg

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:17 AM John Vaughters via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Interesting article.
>
> Regarding this quote from the article:
>
> "One of the first fundamental differences between the brain and computers
> is how their “smallest units” function. Brain neurons can have multiple
> connections and react to impulses in a range of different ways. Computer
> transistors, by comparison, are switches that, while can be connected to
> other transistors, can only have one of two states."
>

> This is the problem. Trying to simulate biologic structure with silicon.
> Highly inefficient and structurally different. Biology is just better than
> what we can create at this time. I'm not convinced electronics will ever be
> able to simulate a brain, but it is a very interesting approach and we can
> certainly learn from it. Not a new idea, but very cool to see this scale.
>
> John Vaughters
>

> On Friday, November 9, 2018, 6:25:36 PM EST, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>

> U of Manchester probably got a price break for this new machine they've
> made:
>
>     SpiNNaker Million-Core Supercomputer
>
> -Pete

Gregg Tracton: tired, retired & mostly unattired (PJ's)