[TriEmbed] DX Extreme order adventure notes

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Mar 28 12:47:09 CDT 2018

I thought it might be interesting to share some details of my most
interesting offshore trade adventure so far. This has different wrinkles
compared to the epic "order before Thanksgiving, receive in early
February" episode with the several week sojourn in US Customs that I've
shared in the past.

On the 7th I ordered stuff from dx.com and it was split three ways. One
SKU had a bizarre "LP" tracking number that finally appeared via USPS
with a proper tracking number from Kentucky but with half the ordered
quantity in the box. I beat the Internet bushes hard trying to get a
clue to decode the "LP" tracking code. The dx.com site had a decoder
ring but it lacked the LP flavor and there was no way to send a message
asking for explanation. Several polls of their "chat line" during their
biz hours (12 hours in our future) always yielded a "not available, try
again later" page. I submitted a ticket about the missing item and will
call them on the phone if they don't respond by tomorrow late night.

Two other packages went to Amsterdam 10 and seven days ago respectively
according to the USPS tracking they were linked to. As far as USPS is
concerned they are still in Amsterdam. However I just found a cute
little popup on the dx.com site informing me that one package left
Amsterdam on the 22nd. I'm not sure if I just haven't noticed that popup
or if there was a long lag before it was added to their system. But the
package that, according to USPS, was still in Amsterdam starting on the
18th (*before* the one that's sailed) has not been updated.

The impossible to decode "LP" tracking number dx.com gave me is what I'm
blaming for my current anxious state. That, and the fact that, in
perfect accord with Murhpy's Law, the missing item is one of the two
night vision security cameras that were half of the original motivation
for the whole order. The other half of why I went with the overseas
order was to get some very interesting Arduino Uno-compatible boards to
use for a teaching gig. Which box has those boards in it? The one that
got to Amsterdam first but appears to be leaving last, of course.

But, as exhibit C, I submit a screen shot I just took from their site
showing what they are publishing as their current date and time. They
obviously don't want to be pipped to the post by other April Fools jokers.

Pete