[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi as WIFI client providing DHCP link to Internet via its wired ethernet

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Mar 22 10:13:40 CDT 2018

On 03/22/2018 10:27 AM, Jon Wolfe wrote:
> Is it specifically dhcp that you need? Or are you really trying to
> make a bridge, with dhcp one component? It might help to solve the
> problem first with hardcoded static private ips for all the nodes,
> then add dhcp when you get that working.
I have no choice for the upstream connection: it's a WIFI network that
offers DHCP, period. If I knew what I was doing the RPI3 bridge would be
perfectly transparent: the downstream router would see exactly the same
IP address being offered by the upstream WIFI router, end of story. The
RPI 3 would functionally be like a piece of CAT5 connected from the WLAN
port of the downstream router to a switch port of the upstream router.
That's what I want. But I don't know how to get it and all the recipes
I've tried have had bags and bags of complexity that I don't want (but
may need 'cause I don't understand this stuff properly).

-Pete