[TriEmbed] my kind of vendor

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Mar 2 13:15:05 CST 2018

Speaking of Bitbucket, a quick editorial.

While Bitbucket isn't quite as convenient or feature rich as GitHub, I
love two facts about it:
    1) Probably because it's owner is in Australia, there is no lower
age limit on users, so kids can legally have accounts.
    2) The free version includes limited support for private repos that
cannot be published to the four winds for one reason or another.

My minor dilemma is that, as usual, there is overhead with using two
tools that do the same job. So, in theory using both Bitbucket and
GitHub should be "no big deal", in reality it's a pain, but I can't be
convinced that sticking with one or the other is practical, let alone
preferred.

At Sun the internal culture allowed for a silly number of redundant
systems (I maintained one system that kept Florida, NC, Mass and CA
sites in sync with respect to some of our Teamware repos, and I'm
confident this was one of dozens of similar systems replicating wheels
there back in the day). Teamware was overtaken by Mercurial and, no
doubt, had Sun survived there would have been a near instantaneous
switch to git *by a fraction of developers*. But some of those folks
were still using flipping SCCS (or RCS, CVS, Subversion, blah, blah).
Having to collaboratewhen half the code was under CVS and half under
Teamware (the parent of BitKeeper) constituted true mental torture.

But git being the system underlying both Bitbucket and GitHub makes the
impedance matching close to perfect, so I really have nothing much to
complain about.  We are in an age of embarrassing riches with respect to
tool chains!