[TriEmbed] KiCad 5 Release

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Jul 25 17:03:15 CDT 2018

On 07/25/2018 04:15 PM, Kevin McClaning via TriEmbed wrote:
> I'm learning Altium Designer at work. Steep learning curve. I wonder if
> kicad is any easier.

I haven't tried Altium, but I've watched a colleague use it.  I've also
used a small handful of other eCAD packages, and even written a small
schematic editor program myself.  It's my impression that all eCAD (and
other CAD for that matter) packages have a steep learning curve, because
any good one will have a huge amount of tools and features, all
necessary to get the job done well.

I've been running my own fork of KiCAD for some time now, having
extended it to make use of MySQL-based symbol and footprint libraries.
It'll be interesting to see how difficult it will be to port my
modifications to the new release.

-B