[TriEmbed] Anyone have their own Christmas light show?

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 09:28:41 CST 2018

Rodney (and any interested),

As a semi-expert in this (I have been designing my display for over 10 years),
you want to consider these points:

  * the going standard for the controls and channel signals is DMX, originally a
    theater and stage light controlling system
  * you DO NOT want to use relays, as they will quickly fail, and cannot act
    fast enough
  * typically MOSFETs are used as they can be switched much faster, and are
    suitable for PWM average power control; for experimental purposes
    Darlingtons can also be used
  * normal DMX uses 3-wire or 4-wire microphone-like cables
  * I have several articles on specifically using ESP8266s as DMX endpoints
    decoding the DMX protocol, and firing 4 channels of PWM outputs (through a
    mux) for multistring or RGB control
  * neopixels take a serial data stream, which is something else that the ESP's
    are good at
    (I did this this year, neopixels in luminaries, where they all emulated
    candle-light flicker & colors until the show, then each became individual
    RGB lights to the soundtrack, and then went back to luminaries after the show)
  * there are quite a number of open source DMX software out there
  * MIDI is exactly a good source material, and the DMX controller software can
    start with those files or signals; check out this YouTube video of the Piano
    Guys who rigged a MIDI pickup to a piano to control a DMX-based system:
    "88 Piano Keys Control 500,000 Christmas Lights! I Saw Three Ships - The
    Piano Guys"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2IBGlDJ3lg

I have a couple of co-workers who do this, and can forward their contact info
off-list if you ask me.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA