[TriEmbed] Considering USB O-Scope - looking for advice

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Mon Apr 23 12:07:28 CDT 2018

Looks like the AD-2 is a good entry-level scope, but I'm not sure it
meets your "better than 'hobby-grade'" requirement, judging from the
comments on the page you linked.

I have a PicoScope 3405D that I adore.  At $1500, it may be outside your
price range, but the 2000 series is much more affordable and I would
expect it to be just as high quality, if not as feature-rich, for less
of a cash outlay.

PicoScope software, though not open-source, runs on Linux, and they
publish an SDK to the driver for folks who want to write their own software.

Note: As far as I can tell, most Pico hardware does not work on ARM
platforms, as Pico Tech have yet to devote any resources to building the
drivers on that platform.  So, sadly, no Raspberry Pi or Chromebook
front-ends yet.

Another note: As you probably know, a scope is only as good as its
probes.  Be prepared to drop some decent cash on good probes if you want
to measure signals much past the audio range.

-Brian