[TriEmbed] OT-ish: TVS best practices?

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Mon Oct 30 12:57:41 CDT 2017

Hi Group,

I've been working on a design for zoned HVAC which involves having
electronics at the ends of long cables.  As such, good transient voltage
suppression becomes a more important concern.

My device will be connected via Cat-5 UTP across which will be supplied
+6V, GND, and an RS-485 differential pair.

I'm wondering if anyone in the group has suggestions on the ideal
application of TVS elements.  I've seen reference designs for RS-485
that have paths to ground for each of the signal lines, but I've also
got the +6V line to worry about.

Can I just provide paths from each signal to GND, or do I need to
provide paths from every signal to every other signal?  It seems to me
that theoretically, all four conductors could be floating at different
potentials relative to each other, and clamping to GND wouldn't
necessarily protect against a damaging potential between a 485 wire and +6V.

All input greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Brian