[TriEmbed] Please remove me

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 00:02:00 CST 2017

You don't have to be in the computer industry, or any tech industry, to be
interested in little microcontroller boards as a hobby.  For example, your
signature below mentions that you tune pianos; there was an article in the
September issue Nuts & Volts magazine on how you can use a Raspberry Pi to
re-create a mellotron music machine (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellotron
for info on the mellotron and some famous songs in which it was used; see also
http://www.mellotron.com/history.htm).  And there's homemade animatronics, such
as a singing skull, or a deer head that talks back to you and accepts Google
Assistant commands (think homemade Big Mouth Billy Bass singing fish plaque
meets Amazon Echo).  You might even be interested in building a midi-to-DMX
translator to direct lighting shows synchronized to music for Christmas.

But no problem, the group hosts can delete you from this list.

If you are at all interested in hobbying with others who are into making music
from home-grown instruments, check out the Music Makers group at SplatSpace.
Every Tuesday night in Durham is a open-house for SplatSpace.  Oh, and check out
this video on the Floppotron playing the Ghostbusters theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhxUT9vWCg or this video of a group that only
makes music with 1930's instruments: /"Orkestra Obsolete play Blue Monday using
1930s instruments"  /https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLbaOLWjpc
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLbaOLWjpc>  You might even be interested in
the 16/17 Hammered Dulcimer I am building partly at SplatSpace as a woodworking
project.  (The Scottish Hammered Dulcimer or the Hungarian Cymbalom are the
precursor to the Harpsichord which is the progenitor to the Pianoforte)

Yes, of course there is more than electronics out there ... ;-)

If you are interested in joining the SplatSpace discussion group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/durham-makerspace/join
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/durham-makerspace/join>

- sgh

--