[TriEmbed] Hacking home appliances

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Jun 25 14:56:15 CDT 2017

Hi Nick,
    If this area doesn't seem very clear I would urge you to go Paul's
route with an off the shelf solution. This is a variation on the theme
of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".
   And for anything near moisture and/or outdoors the AC power must be
fed by a GFCI outlet or GFCI-protected circuit feeding the outlet
("must" being 50% code requirement and 50% 'I want to maximize my chance
of staying alive'). (You might say "but a coffee maker doesn't have a
three prong plug". See above.) I'm bringing up the GFCI issue in case
you might be tempted to run an extension cord out a window or door.
Notice that the PowerSwitch Tail does not do GFCI, so for an outdoor
application you'd feed it with a GFCI-protected outlet.

-Pete

On 06/25/2017 02:24 PM, The MacDougals via TriEmbed wrote:

> You can roll your own, or go the simple route…
>
> http://www.powerswitchtail.com/
>
> These have 5v input signal and control 110V AC in a safe package.
>
> ---> Paul

--- Visual chart of Trump Admin actions:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/27/upshot/whats-normal-whats-important-a-ranking-of-20-events-in-the-trump-administration.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0