[TriEmbed] Suggestions Needed to Improve Quality / Reliability

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jan 23 09:03:05 CST 2017

On 01/22/2017 03:37 PM, Chip McClelland via TriEmbed wrote:

> - When I do get the system to lock up, his is what I see:
> - The Arduino is the one that is locked up not the Simblee
> - When the Arduino locks up, the Simblee is unable to take control of
> the i2c bus
> - The Arduino is in the “sleep” state and will not wake up - with the
> pin change interrupt set and _even if I manually bring the interrupt
> pin low_
> - The Arduino will not reset _even if I manually bring the reset pin
> low_ - this is odd and what I have come to call the "fugue state".
> - The Simblee will be visible on Bluetooth LE but will lock up when I
> attempt to connect and it tries to read the i2c bus (I do not have a
> timeout on taking the bus)
> - The only way to recover is to power cycle the device

(Since your board is full custom and doesn't look like an Arduino, I'm
going to just refer to the IC.)

Well, the Atmega not doing the right thing in response to the reset pin
being pulled down seems like the smoking gun. This is of course
"impossible", so the question is how this could be happening. The only
two things I can think of are a too short reset sequence and an
intermittent power supply problem. Is the Simblee holding the reset line
low for at least 2.5 microseconds? The rest of this assumes "yes".

What's the clock speed of the Atmega? What's the Atmega's supply voltage
when it won't respond to reset? Will the Simblee run with a lower supply
voltage than the Atmega? I wonder if the fugue state is to do with the
onboard DC to DC converter vs the Atmega. If you could watch and record
the Atmega's VCC pin while trying to reset it out of the fugue state you
might see it sagging as the Atmega tries to start up: the Simblee is
able to keep running (or the sag might be causing the Simblee to stop
and restart. Can you detect that?). Is there any correlation with
temperature or battery state? Can the Atmega get it's work done at a
lower clock speed? Purely as an experiment you might lower the speed to
reduce its power requirement. If it rides through and "outlasts" all the
other units in the park, then it might suggest a power supply stability
issue. Systematically testing the power supply might be in order.