[TriEmbed] Pinewood derby help

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:17:15 CST 2017

Craig,

As long as you use a snubber diode across the motor's power terminals and a
cap near your microcontroller power pins, you should not need an
opto-isolator. As long as you match the N-FET's gate voltage sensitivity
with your logic voltage, you should be able to drive the FET's gate
directly via resistor (1k?) connected to a logic output. Drive the logic
output low during the low periods to turn the FET off rather than let the
gate float during the OFF period (float would turn-off a BJT but not a
FET). You could just add a large value (50k?) pull-down to the FET gate but
this would give you an asymmetry in the turn-on and turn-off times that
could make it hard to effectively use the full range of your PWM output.

Shane