[TriEmbed] Rocket derby help

Paul Holzworth pholz at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 01:27:19 CST 2017

Craig,
I launched a few model rockets in my day also.  It is all about getting the igniter hot enough and that is all about pumping current through it.  Your enemy is resistance. Major sources of resistance are the wire, the igniter itself and the battery.

Let’s look at each one.

1) The wire.  You apparently measured the resistance of the wire and measured 1.2 ohms.  That seems to match with Kevin’s mention of CAT5 specs of 2.5 ohms per hundred feet.  Something to consider is that you probably measured one direction but remember the current has to return so it encounters an equivalent resistance on the way back.  Let’s call the total wire resistance 2.5 ohms.

2) The igniter is just a resistor in wire form.  That’s what makes it work. It’s resistance is so great that it gets hot when you pump current through it.  Think about the wires in  your toaster, same thing. The second entry in this discussion (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?21958-Ignitor-specs) says that Estes igniters are 0.8 ohms. .  You can measure that directly with an appropriate ohmmeter but let’s assume that is true.

3) The battery itself has an effective internal resistance.  This is partially real resistance and partially due to chemical processescncook001 at yahoo.com but the effect is to put additional resistance in your circuit. That is why battery voltage drops at the terminals with heavy loads.  Different battery types have higher or lower internal resistance.  NiCads are much lower than alkaline batteries.  You can get much more instantaneous current out of a nicad than an alkaline or carbon cell of the same size.  If you use a battery with low internal resistance such as a lead-acid gel cel or a set of nicads, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Neglecting any effects of the switches and connectors (may or may not be valid but you indicate you checked them), we have a total resistance of 3.3 ohms.  According to the specs of the article Rodney linked to, we need at least 2 amps of current flowing through our igniter to make sure it lights.  Let’s assume this is true of our igniters for now.  We therefore need a minimum voltage of 3.3 ohms x 2 amps = 6.6 volts.  This indicates that a 6 volt battery is marginal at best and non functional as it ages and the voltage drops. Being an engineer and preferring to use at least a 2X margin, it appears that a 12 volt battery should work fine, even at the end of the long CAT5 cable.  Also, as an engineer and a subscriber to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory, I would avoid relays at all cost.  They don’t appear necessary.

There is still another option which is to use lower resistance wire.  That can be achieved by using larger wire or just using multiple wires in parallel in the CAT5 cable.  You have 4 pairs so you can wire 4 together and still have a conductor out and a conductor back. That would reduce your wire resistance to 1/4 so now you are looking at 0.63 ohms for the wire so 1.43 x 2 amps = 2.86 volts or conversely  a 6 volt battery can drive 6/1.43= 4.2 amps through the igniter.  That should be sufficient.

In conclusion, you can probably use a 12 volt battery or use multiple pairs in your CAT5 cable (or both) and get many reliable launches.

Paul Holzworth