[TriEmbed] Opinion: best schematic drawing software

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:25:32 CDT 2016

Scott,

I generally use KiCad or Eagle. LTSpice is not really a schematic drawing
program though you can kind of do it. It's a Spice simulator for circuits
and it is free. There is a paid version like Eagle, but most people use the
free version. I'd stick with either KiCad or Eagle for schematic drawing.

~Carl

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Scott Hall via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> I am doing some research, and thought I would fetch opinions on what
> software you feel is best for drawing electronic circuit schematics.
>
> Background: I grew up drawing my schematics by pencil and plastic shape
> templates and standard drafting tools -- even through my college classes in
> Electronics Engineering.  Since then, up to this point I have been doing my
> drawing with a application called RFFlow from RFF Electronics
> (https://www.rff.com/) <https://www.rff.com/> that I have followed the
> author back in the 1980's when it was written in Turbo Pascal.  He wrote it
> originally to draw ham-radio and RF circuit schematics, and later evolved
> the software to draw flow charts, block diagrams, floor plans, UML design
> diagrams -- much like Microsoft's Visio.
>
> Other schematic software I have explored recently include those discussed
> in this group: KiCad, Eagle and TinyCad.  There are a few others I have
> looked at: FlowCode, Fritzing, Scheme-It (at Digikey), CircuitLab, LTSpice
> (not free), SmartDraw (not free), XCircuit.
>
> Some of the features to consider:
>
> 1) schematic drawing;
>
> 2) simulate the circuit using a spice analysis, plotting voltages or
> currents statically or over time;
>
> 3) automatically generate breadboard, stripboard, or perfboard layout for
> prototyping and testing;
>
> 4) automatically route PC board layouts -- usually with the ability to
> edit the result due to criteria not in the component models;
>
> Now I don't need all these features, I am just looking for the drawing
> portion.  What do you think?
>
> --
> Scott G. Hall
> Raleigh, NC, USA