[TriEmbed] Need help with Arduino / ESP8266 Project

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:19:55 CST 2016

You might want to look at some recent magazine articles that were doing
similar things. Not exactly the same, but similar enough to get the idea in
both the hardware hookup and the software involved.

Elektor Magazine, Nov-Dec 2016, pg 94: "WIFI RGB LED strip controller:
light up!
elektormagazine.com
<https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/wifi-rgb-led-strip-controller-with-ATmega328-ESP8266>

> This board, described in Elektor Magazine November-December 2016 issue,
> based on a AVR microcontroller ATmega 328 (as on the Arduino Uno) and a
> ESP8266 transmitter module, allows wireless controlling of a RGB LED strip
> through your WiFi network. It can also control up to three inductive loads
> like relays or motors. Eight additional GPIO ports are available for
> controlling something else or for reading switches and other digital
> signals. An Android app provides the user interface.

(soon available on the Splat*Space server)

Elektor Labs has also made available a Arduino Nano + ESP8266 combo board
called the "Pretzel Board: IoT WiFi Board" for about $35 or less.
https://www.elektor.com/pretzel-board-iot-wifi-board also called the
"NanoESP", see http://iot.fkainka.de/en/technische-daten

Obviously Elektor has a number of articles about hooking up and programming
the board for various kinds of projects:
"My Journey into the Cloud - part 10: The Pretzel Board
<https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-10-the-pretzel-board>"
https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-10-the-pretzel-board

> Regular readers of this sequel will already know that for my first
> attempts to remotely control a desk lamp I used a PC as a relay station
> configured as a MQTT client to receive text-based commands and forward them
> to a microcontroller board via the USB port.
>
> From this basic configuration the next stage was to take the PC out of the
> equation and get the MQTT client running on the controller board itself. In
> the previous installment
> <https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-9> we
> experimented with a minimal library and discovered how simple the coding is
> to publish basic MQTT messages.

(also soon to be available on the Splat*Space server)

"My Journey into the Cloud - part 11: The Pretzel Board
<https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-11-pretzel-board-works-as-a-wifi-dongle>
"
https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-11-pretzel-board-works-as-a-wifi-dongle

> In the last installment in this series
> <http://www.elektormagazine.com/news/my-journey-in-the-cloud-10-the-pretzel-board>
> I started with the Pretzel Board
> <http://www.elektor.com/pretzel-board-iot-wifi-board> which has an
> ATmega328 and a WiFi LAN ESP8266 chip on board. The Pretzel board was just
> hooked up to the PC using a USB cable and with a terminal emulator program
> running on the PC, I am able to send simple text-based commands to the
> ESP8266 WiFi module via the ATmega328. Using this setup I can log into my
> home WiFi network network and was eventually able to pass characters using
> TCP/IP around my local intranet.

(also soon to be available on the Splat*Space server)

Here is a project that reads and passes through temperature sensor data:
http://iot.fkainka.de/en/board

Here is another that goes better into some of the programming:
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com/pretzelboard-aka-nanoesp-aka-c-control-duino/

If you have any further questions, just contact me.

- sgh

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM, inquiry--- via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a full-time, working person who is travelling a fair amount, I am
> looking
> for help to build a pass-through WiFi RS232 device using an Arduino/ESP8266
> combination to read data from a scale. I will support this project with
> financial help. This project would be suited for a NCSU student with the
> proper skills. I hope this forum (which I have attended in the past) is
> appropriate for this request.
>
> If successful, a variant of this project will be to expand the approach to
> reading ambient temperature & voltage across a variable resistance. Feel
> free to contact me directly. Thanks.
>
> Christian Fortunel
> inquiry at fortunel.com

Scott G. Hall