[TriEmbed] AVR Dragon on Linux

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu May 19 12:19:31 CDT 2016

Hiya,

I'm cross-posting this to TriLUG and triembed.  In my ongoing efforts to
further divorce myself from Windows on the desktop (mistyped that
"Sindows" the first time... Freudian slip?) at home, I find one tie that
is difficult to cut to be the combination of Atmel Studio and the AVR
Dragon in-circuit emulator.

Atmel distributes GCC-based cross-compilation tools for Linux, and there
are third-party FOSS tools such as AVaRICE and avrdude for programming
and debugging the hardware.  Unfortunately, when I try to use those
tools with my Dragon connected to a target via the one-wire debugWire
interface, the communication between Dragon and target seems very fickle
and error-prone (whereas the identical physical setup works just fine
with Atmel Studio on Windows).  In particular, communication timeouts
occur frequently, both when trying to program the device and trying to
debug it.

Has anyone on this list tackled the Linux/debugWire/Dragon...er...dragon
before, and perhaps defeated it?  The Atmel toolchain is one of my last
remaining strong ties to Windows...

Thanks,
-Brian