[TriEmbed] temp measurements Re: anybody want to give a talk at TriLUG? & RPI 3 availability

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Mar 31 17:48:49 CDT 2016

This reminds me. A few weeks ago at the "Raspberry Pi, Arduino and
Friends" event at Splatspace two folks brought in Raspberry Pi 3s. One
had small aluminum heatsinks on the main chips and the other didn't.
Here are a couple pictures from my FLIR 165:

http://triembed.org/images/RPI3-TEMPS/index.html

The emissivity is set too high and seven other variables would make it
unwise to put much stock in the absolute temp measurements. But this
certainly shows a contrast. Both systems ran a simple C program that
forked itself into multiple looping processes to create a system load
factor of five. After a couple minutes the temperature was measured,
twiddling around to find the hottest spot. We were fascinated by the
fact that the board surrounding the processor/ram chip was hotter than
the heat sink itself, while with the board having no heat sink the
opposite was true. We actually rushed the high temperature measurement
for the sake of not flirting with possible damage. In my opinion it
would be unwise to run an RPI 3 in a confined space or with high ambient
air temperature without a heatsink.

-Pete