[TriEmbed] RFM69HW and Anarduino Mini

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Fri Jun 24 10:05:48 CDT 2016

I bought a pair of Anarduino Minis with RFM69HW radios. These are 328p
boards with a flash chip for logging and an FTFI header for programming.
They run a Decimella-compatible bootloader. I mounted my own RFM69HW 433
MHz radios, but you can buy them already mounted, and frankly there's no
reason not to as the price is good and no waiting for aliexpress
shipment from China.

The send/receive demo here:
http://www.anarduino.com/miniwireless/#demo12b_sendreceive works, but
the range was very poor - like no signal beyond a foot or so, even
though I enabled the high-power setting for the HW module. So, instead,
I tried the reliable-datagram send/receive examples here
http://www.anarduino.com/miniwireless/#demo12b_sendreceive and enabled
20 dbm for transmit power and the range is very good (at least here in
the cube farm at work). No idea what the problem is. The first example
SHOULD work fine. But, overall, reliable transmission was what I was
after anyway, so it'll let it remain a mystery if it just works.

The intent for all this is to monitor some environmental conditions of
the stream in my backyard. It's about 700 ft from the house. I'm hoping
to use an ultrasonic distance module to measure stream height. The idea
is to mount the sender above the stream at a measured height from the
streambed and let it measure the distance to the waters surface.

--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.