[TriEmbed] OSH Park and Kicad

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Jun 10 13:16:33 CDT 2016

I was actually going to mention another detail and when I trimmed the
message back I broke the grammar. Oh well.

I find the incentive for sharing boards by pcbs.io interesting,
especially in so far as a ton of folks will submit Eagle .brd files.
Whether Cadsoft ignores this and risks fouling up licensing in the
future or makes a stink, possibly driving folks away from Eagle, will be
interesting. But first folks are going to have to start using pcbs.io.

Speaking strictly for myself, the $1 and possible first class postal
advantage is not at all interesting in return for betting I'll get
consistent results matching OSH Park. However, in the interest of
science I'll submit a simple design to pcbs.io and one other vendor so
we can look at them all in August.

On the subject of others, I'm preparing to try out Elecrow (Chinese
vendor). Their panelization, v-grooving, and metal stencils seem very
attractive.

OSH Park hasn't changed their pricing or offerings in forever, no doubt
because you don't tend to mess with success. But they'll respond to the
extent these other vendors start to take revenue from them.

-Pete