[TriEmbed] Amazon Dash button simple detection

Michael Monaghan mike at chipworks.net
Sun Jul 24 10:56:53 CDT 2016

My wifi router is doing all the work...

- Added new AP "dash"
- Route "dash" AP to Internet
- Setup Dash buttons. stopping at the product selection screen.  (Note this
can be skipped if you manually configure the button)
- Cut AP "dash" from Internet
- Changed DHCP logging to include "Request" and ARP
- Scan log from Python for new events
- Do whatever I please.  Push Dash mounted as doorbell to send sounds to TV
and music players plus send SMS that someone is at the door... turn on
porch light and take a picture... electrify porch rails with the cattle
tamer...

Advantages:

- The AP is always on and the Dash are connecting to it anyways
- Separate SSID keeps them off my data SSIDs plus the entire AP
configuration of the Dash is done in the open where anyone with a sniffer
can capture it.  The Dash SSID is not routers and therefore goes nowhere if
someone gets into it.
- Script doesn't have to deal with all the usually network traffic
- Dash buttons can't call home.
- I can use them once to get my $5 credit.  The Energizer button paid me
$0.17 to take a 16 pack of AAs off Amazon's hands after the cost of the AA
and button.
- It was so simple!

Note that you can also telnet to talk with the button and configure it
outside of the Amazon app.  V1 buttons have a configuration screen via
HTML.  V2 buttons require special JSON requests (not complex) to pull the
AP list and then set the base configuration.  Using this method you never
have to talk to Amazon's servers.  The major advantage to this is you
aren't sharing your SSID and Key with Amazon.

Note if anyone is looking for a button to play with, I'll have a few at the
next meeting.

Mike