[TriEmbed] Sorry I missed the meeting last night - have one thing to share

Chip McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Tue Feb 9 08:37:54 CST 2016

All,

Unfortunately I need to work to support my hobbies!

I have been looking for a way to add Bluetooth LE capabilities to my projects.  I have been using Adafruit’s Bluefruit UART friend but it has some limitations and Adafruit will not sell the bare module - I asked.  In addition, if you want to change the user interface on the iPhone or Android handset, you need to learn their respective programming languages - ugh.

Well, there is a new option from Sparkfun and I wanted to share it with all of you.

Sparkfun’s Simblee page: https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/simblee <https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/simblee>

I have ordered some of these and, in reading the manuals while they are in transit, I have become quite excited about some of these scenarios:

1) Ability to present a custom user interface on the phone which is described in the Arduino sketch.  No mobile programming required.
2) The Simblee module is a Cortex M0 with more RAM than the Arduino an a lot of GPIO pins, it could off-load communications from the Arduino handing cellular or Wifi in addition to Bluetooth.  In fact, it may replace the Arduino in some of my projects.
3) The standard Arduino Wire library supports “multi-master” mode.  So, the Arduino and the Simblee could both share information with an i2c FRAM chip allowing for the Arduino to control the sensors and the Simblee to report the results.

I will be exploring this over the coming weeks but wanted to share my enthusiasm for this cool new product - let’s see if it lives up to its promise.

Chip