[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 39, Issue 20

Michael Monaghan mike at chipworks.net
Thu Aug 25 10:28:11 CDT 2016

Chip,

I have lots of thoughts, but I don't think any of them get you around near
end cross talk (NEXT) which is essentially what this is.  Any filtering
would have to allow for the round trip to the reflector which will suffer
air gap loss so shorter reflection paths will have higher return power and
likely overcome polarization and filtering.  Separating the transmitter and
receiver a few feet apart might help as may baffles to reduce NEXT.  You
might also measure delay from transmit to detect, but some part of me
screams we don't know what the light path will look like and it might be so
short as to be meaningless lacking a coherent light source like a laser.
Short of placing the receiver on the other side of the path, I think heavy
fog and rain create an out of service condition that you can likely live
with and use handwavium (tm) to explain away.  "These are not the counts
you're looking for."

Mike