[TriEmbed] Fwd: [Splat Space] Re: PCB design software

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:24:04 CDT 2016

Charles,

One of the difficulties I've had with PCB routing and layout in the past is
considering crosstalk between traces.  You have to consider if similar
signals are on adjacent traces and whether signal levels at that point are
strong enough to induce inductive currents between them.  In audio you can
hear this as two disparate channels having a low-level "ghost" of the other
channel present.  Another consideration is the frequencies involved and the
shape of the traces -- sharp corners tend to radiate RFI at higher
frequencies.  Routing different segments in different shapes using
different lengths and possibly adding ground or power traces between them
or routing them at angles to each other helps with these two problems.
Then you can introduce timing differences between parallel signals -- think
how the Olympic tracks have a staggered start for lanes to compensate for
larger distances on the outside lanes.  You may need to add an S curve to
sync things up again.  Finally consider the width (and thickness) of traces
per the currents that they will have to handle.  Most folks underestimate
trace losses with routing power (Vcc) and ground (Vdd) signals.

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com